1994-02-26

Monster | 1994

Monster
26 February 1994
Watercolor on paper
16 x 20 in (40.6 50.8 cm)


Painted for a class, this was inspired by a painting I saw only once in an awesome little coffee bar in downtown Denver. I was there with two great friends prior to a Pink Floyd concert, and the feelings it struck in me ran deep enough to make a painting of my own. In cases like this, it would be cool to re-see the original source of inspiration - just to see if it was what you remembered. But I also know it's good we can't always revisit. It could negatively impact our memories.

the sketch...

Monster, 1993
Ball point pen on paper, < 5"x 5", personal collection.
This was one of my “notes” which eventually turned into the painting . I don’t know why I deserted the stick appendage idea with his left foot – maybe to bring in a more human element. Or maybe to make him freakier. I like the painting, but I think too much detail was lost – particularly in the pelvis and that left foot. In the painting, they’re almost blobs.

Monster Ring, 1993
Ball point pen. Some more of my notes. I thought I drew this in a computer aided drafting (CAD) class but according to the 'reading critical thinking', I really have no idea. I'm not sure this is creative or creative thinking but it's definitely something. I also think it impacted Monster.


-mm-

No comments: