BOOKS...as opposed to making them trophies of progress, I am going to keep random notes from books I've read and/or been recommended to read.
- The Bible
- Pilgrim's Progress, The, John Bunyan, 1678
- Wind in the Willows, The, Kenneth Grahame, 1908
Pilgrims Regress (read, 2016-09)
- Book 8 CH 5: If its help is not a metaphor neither are its commands. If it can answer when you call, then it can speak without you asking. If you can go to it, it can come to you. - Man
- Book 8 CH 5: But is a very different thing to hold your hand out to a surgeon to be hurt as much as he thinks fit. And at his speed. – John
- Book 8 CH 10: You must not try to keep the raptures; they have done their work. Manna kept is worms. - History
- "The Mole was so touched by his kind manner of speaking that he could find no voice to answer him; and he had to brush away a tear or two with the back of his paw. But the Rat kindly looked in another direction, and presently the Mole's spirits revived again..."
- From the chapter, "The River Bank"; this is after The Mole capsized the boat following his being adamant to row. I love the graciousness and the genius gesture of looking away. It is so powerful and so well captured in this one paragraph. Silence can be incredible.
- mm -