2002-06-24

Koi Scroll | 2002-06


Koi Scroll, 2002
Watercolor and ink on Japanese scroll
17" x 60", Merry collection
It's probably obvious by now the impact Japan had on some of my art. In Japan, scrolls are like canvas and lend themselves well to Japanese writing. Pleased with the results of my Christmas Koi, I really wanted to try the same theme on a scroll.

This was a present for my girlfriend at the time. I always wonder what happens to gifted art. I realize it could very well be in the trash. But I would rather have all my art with people, if even for awhile, than keeping it.  I look at books the same way.

the sketch...

Koi Scroll sketch, 2002
Pencil, 8.5" x 11".  This sketch is much smaller than the final product, but served its purpose well. The grid was to covert the small drawing into a large, wall scroll. This is an old technique which I used to think was silly. However, the truth is it’s easy and always works. You simply change the proportions of the squares, draw the same thing in each corresponding square, and viola, you have a larger picture.


-mm-

No comments: