2004-03-23

Better Dace | 2004-03

Better Dace, 2004
Watercolor and ink on Japanese scroll, 17" x 60", Granducci collection
Here is another work on a Japanese scroll, similar to the Koi Scroll. Some hidden symbolism resides in this picture. The dace - a good fish, a normal fish, trying his best everyday to add to the betterment of the water shared by other common dace.
The diamonds - what are they? Why are they there? The diamonds represent oppression and confusion to the dace but seem harmless on the surface - even colorful. In fact, they seem to add order and direction. However, it's a facade and the dace sees through it - staying ever focused on his goal. He never gives in as he struggles to swim free of this silliness to a better world. A world free of diamonds, a better world, better dace.  This was painted for a person I met when I was stationed in Würzburg. A person I'm lucky to call my friend.

the sketches...

Better Dace 01, 2004
Ball Point Pen, ~ 3" x 5". This was the original sketch for Better Dace. I liked the idea and pressed forward with it. Some obvious changes were the arrangement of the diamonds and the dace's orientation.  To better use a scroll (much longer than wide) I wanted to stretch the fish vertically. Also, you may notice the dorsal fins are a mess. I first drew them pointing forward, but this was a little too unnatural and I just drew the rear facing fin over the first set. As an aside, drawing with a pen is good for me since you can't erase - it forces some boldness.

Better Dace 02, 2004
Ball Point Pen, 6" x 8". This was the first attempt at elongating the dace to a more vertical posture. The dace on the left is actually the first but the right dace better captured the idea of swimming to the surface. Also, the first (left) dace seemed a little too jagged and fictitious - almost like a Pokemon. Some more influence from Japan showing through.

Better Dace 03, 2004
Ball Point Pen, 6" x 10". The last sketch before taking it to the scroll. I was pleased with this dace in orientation and fins. I also liked the random "bubbles" and diamonds but you can see they are still in a tight pattern. In fact, the diamonds really didn't get worked out until the dace was actually painted on the scroll. The eye in this sketch got a little muddled so I used those in the Better Dace 02. I also really liked the dorsal fin but in the final painting, it ended up being much larger


-mm-

No comments: