2005-07-17

OIF Patches | 2005-07

 
OIF Patches (proposed)
2005, Pencil and Pen (digital color shown here)
Well, it happened again - I was asked to draw some ideas for a patch my squadron would wear on a deployment, but they weren't used. Maybe I should start charging for sketches - used or not.
I really can't stand patches that have bad colors and/or have a cartoon feel. Also, I think the best patches are tough ones with more serious slogans. The idea with both of these is an imposing figure bearing a weapon (GBU-12 in this case). Slogans are always tricky and I can draw better than I can write, but I came up with a few. Our squadron color is green which is important.
"We will make it better" or "A little Green goes a long way"
Like I said, I'm not much of a writer. The squadron elected for a patch with a lady on it - similar to WWII aircraft nose art. To the artist's credit, it was very well drawn.

the sketch...


OIF Patch, Face detail
2005, pen, personally collection
This was the first sketch for a potential patch. I was trying to make a very imposing figure and skull faces usually do the trick. I added the stumps to show horns were there. A devil character was used in previous squadron patches so the horns were an attempt to classify this guy as a devil. The character himself is an adaptation from a poster I saw in Auschwitz. It was a scary. I can't imagine seeing propaganda like that as a child.

I removed the horns (stumps) all together in the final version (top, left) and made some more distinct shapes in the eyes. The hand gave me the idea to have him holding a weapon. This wasn't used for the patch which is probably best since it's pretty dark.

go to Custom Work or the Galleries

-mm-

No comments: