2008-12-15

cc2008 | Christmas Dragon | 2008

Christmas Dragon, 2008
Sumi-e on rice paper, 33 x 23.6 cm (Erickson Collection).  The card read: I have always been intrigued by dragonflies and painting one was just a matter of time. Truly amazing creatures, they look around like a robot, they change direction in an instant, their wings are almost transparent and they even eat mosquitoes. But if you'd never pay attention, they're just another bug.
Christmas is a perfect time to appreciate the little details that make our lives amazing and the New Year brings the challenge to notice something new everyday.
My comments - I need to do more DFs.  This one doesn't really do them justice.

the sketch...

Christmas Dragon, 2008, pencil
This was actually the second of the two sketches made for the 2008 Christmas card. I liked both but after I destroyed the painted version of the first sketch, I tried this version.

The first version was fine but I just got frustrated with the painting. It's a plight of mine - little patience and temper.

Go to the Cards or the Galleries

-mm-

No comments: