2011-12-15

cc2011 | Christmas Hawk | 2011

Christmas Hawk, 2011
Crayon on paper, 21 x 28 cm.  The card read:  Sometimes you have to work with what’s available – not what you prefer or is familiar.  I’ve found I get the best results if I stop worrying about the outcome and just jump in.  The process, the learning, and yes, even the result, can be well worth it.  I wouldn’t normally pick crayons as a medium, but I also can’t pick where or with whom I serve.  But I wouldn’t change a thing.  This chapter of my life has been nothing but a blessing and the way people have enriched my life is priceless.  I struggled with a subject this year until I realized I’ve been wearing it on my shoulder – our War Hawk.  "...wearing in on my shoulder..." will make more sense if you visit the War Hawk Patch.  This was the 20th card in the series - 150 were printed.
My comments - this was actually a pleasant surprise.  Fun to use crayons and pleased with the result.

the sketches...

Christmas Hawk (sketch 1), 2011

Marker, pen and crayons

This was the first of two sketches for the 2011 card. Birds fascinate me and my squadron's mascot was a War Hawk ... so I sketched this bird.  I like this bird but his face seemed a little too much like a falcon.  He would have worked but I wanted him to have a more prominent beak.

Christmas Hawk (sketch 2), 2011

Marker, pen and crayons

This was the second of two sketches for the 2011 card. I thought the first sketch looked a little too much like a falcon, so I stretched his beak a little but I like his hair better in the first sketch.

Go to the Cards or the Galleries

-mm-

No comments: