2014-12-15

cc2014 | Christmas Crow | 2014

Christmas Crow
07 December 2014
Watercolor and ink on paper
11 x 15 in (28 x 38 cm)


The card read:  What can I say?  I think birds are amazing and crows, while probably just a nuisance to most, are quite impressive to me.  Yes, they scavenge and aren’t very colorful, but they can use (and make) tools, are monogamous, hang out in murders and are considered some of the world’s most intelligent animals.  I could have painted this guy in hundreds of different poses, but I thought I’d catch him in what’s probably their proudest moment – just after finding something shiny.  Crows aren’t the only thing full of surprises. They remind me that life is full of wonder, you never know what to expect and, most importantly, they remind me of the folly of making judgments based solely on appearances.
My comments - I was about to tear this thing apart because I couldn't get the shadows/contrast I was looking for.  But then I found my India ink and the bird popped to life.  Good save, ink. 23rd card.

~~~~~

Christmas Crow, 2014
Pencil on paper

After deciding on a crow, the hardest part was how to portray him. I think wings are amazing so I went with an in-flight pose. Also, I thought this pose would lend itself nicely to some cargo.  The above pic is a photo of the actual sketch (below), but I focused on the head...surprisingly it gave the wings cool dimension.

I entertained the idea of him carrying either a Christmas tree ball or a string of lights. They both would've worked since crows seem to be attracted to shiny objects. I'm happy with the final, but I think the string of lights might've been a bit cooler and more interesting.

I made a custom frame out of barn wood gathered in Nebraska.
This also has great glass - the kind that really subdues glare.

Go to the Cards or the Galleries

- mm -

No comments: