2015-07-07

WWII Aviation : 2015-07

We had a free day in July and were going to go check out Meadow Lake airport, but the weather was junk and I had just purchased two Groupons for the National Museum of World War II Aviation - right in Colorado Springs. (I didn't link to the home page since it plays music). So we made an audible and headed to the museum which is located on the Colorado Springs Airport. It turned out to be a nice visit and right next door is Westpac Restorations so you can see airplanes in the process of being restored. That was pretty impressive.  I also love the fact that it can be jacket weather in July in Colorado...such a nice break from the heat.

On the website you can see the displays and aircraft in the museum but here are a few shots I took...

There was a print singed by some Tuskegee Airmen which I thought was very cool. I had to do some research since the artist's name wasn't on it. It turns out to be Guardian Angels (great name) by Todd Price. My picture didn't turn out so well - this one is from the web. Mustangs are cool and Red Tails are cool. And B-17s are iconic.

The mighty "Jug", or P-47 Thunderbolt.  This thing was all engine and the
paint scheme on this one is classic! I'm pretty sure this one is in flying condition. 

Bella Bear was as captivated by the Jug as I was.

Just one of the many models in the museum. I get frustrated taking pics of displays because of all
the reflections and all the stuff in the background. They had a nice collection of memorabilia.

This was a good audible and the museum seems to be a hidden gem in C Springs. If you're in the area and have time, it's certainly worth a visit!

- mm -

No comments: