2004-07-01

Guardian Angel | 2004-07

Guardian Angel, 2004
Watercolor and ink on parchment, 12" x 18", Fleiter collection. This is a birthday card for Doreen who really likes angels. I was trying to depict an angel that is very powerful and almost frightful but also able to show compassion. The physical painting has some interesting traits as well. The paper is manila drawing paper and the paints are the classic 8-color sets. It was a challenge, but for the equipment I was using, I was pretty happy with the results.

the sketches...
1 2 3
  1. I was experimenting with an over-the-shoulder look but eventually didn't use it. Also, I went with a male angel.
  2. I liked this face, but as mentioned, didn't use this perspective. Also, this face is somewhat neutral and/or surprised. I wanted a more stoic or defensive appearance.
  3. Here is another female face and although she looks friendly, I thought she looked a little too friendly for a guardian angel.
1 2 3
  1. The last sketch of a female and over the shoulder. I think if I would have closed the mouth, this face would work - giving the sense this angel is good, but don't push your luck. Which is, by the way, how I envision most angels save the Angel of Death who I assume never looks friendly or good.
  2. The first sketches of male faces - which I used. I was happy with the upper right face, but he seemed a little old and I wanted a more direct view of the front to better display some flared wings. Since I also imagine angels are all in very good physical condition (if that matters to angels), I went with a mix of the upper left and lower faces. In the final version, I wish I would have used the lower face with the upper left hair. As you'll see, however, the final face wasn't very defined which I think lost some of the effect.
  3. This is just one sketch of the wings. I was working with the actual layout of wings. However, as you'll see in the final version, I used less defined lines and very sharp edges and tips.

-mm-

No comments: