2005-12-29

OIF Mural | 2005-12

OIF Mural, 2005
Paint and ink on concrete
The Triple Nickel (555FS) was in the desert for four months and we wanted to leave our mark. There were already three murals from previous squadrons in our building, and one spot was open...perfect.

I was asked to do the work but I didn't want to go with just our patch (below). In fact, I like the eagle on the older patch so I suggested this collage of images. The eagle is similar to the old patch but rotated towards us, the shock wave is also from the older patch, the F-16 is obvious and the patch is our actual 'legacy' patch. Legacy in that it was been used with F-4, F-15 and F-16 planforms.

Our slogan, "Once Green, Always Green", can be said as it is on the mural...like an open ended question (with known response). It worked well since I could make the letters bolder and it lets the viewer know the Nickel will always be around and may very well be back!

I had some great help and would be remiss if I didn't address it. Buster, Ripple, Shrek and Tumor - thanks very much. The final mural has the name of all the great people in operations.



 
555 FS Patch (L), pre-1975 patch (C), and Legacy Patch (R)


-mm-

No comments: