2006-12-15

cc2006 | Christmas Mill | 2006

Christmas Mill
13 December 2006
Watercolor on paper
14 x 20 in (35.6 x 50.8 cm)


Inspired from a photo Doreen took on the prairies of Nebraska. Although this windmill and tree trunk decay a little more each holiday, this same season gives the newer tree another opportunity to grow.  Whether we notice it or not, whether we embrace it or not, change will forge on and that which is new will replace the old. As each Christmas and another year fade away, it's important we grasp what is fresh, savor the memories of the past and prepare for what lies ahead.
My comments - This is one of my paintings that completely departed from the original idea (see sketches).  I'm glad I used Doreen's recommendation.  I didn't particularly like the detail (the time) required for the windmill, but liked it, the sky, and the tree.

the sketches...

2006, ink, watercolor and pencil.  I started with a city/skyline concept but obviously switched which is the complete departure mentioned above.  This skyline is actually a redo of a 2000 sketch I made for a potential card.  Inspired by my time in Singapore.
2006, mixed media on paper.  This sketch is pretty close to the finished painting. As you might be able to tell, I was most concerned with the details of the windmill. That was the primary purpose of this drawing - to see if 1) I could get the detail I wanted and 2) if a shaded or an all-black silhouette worked better for the windmill.

I went with the solid black windmill and created 'shading' (or depth) with different line widths. The splashes of color are from messing around with pastels. I cannot work very well with pastels.

Go to the Cards or the Galleries

-mm-

No comments: