2006-01-25

Plain was sold

Plain, 1993
Watercolor on paper, 20″ x 16″
Newberry Collection

This painting was sold over the holidays and recently shipped away to Texas. The painting was in a series of three paintings for a psychology class. I was out to test if music can indeed affect a person’s mood. So, I painted one painting with no music, one with Enya playing and a third with some heavy metal.

I was convinced I could simply pick a suitable theme for the three paintings, however, regardless of the subject, the music really did seem to affect my brush strokes - if nothing else.
Plain was the baseline (with no music), Motion was painted with Enya and the third (unnamed) was to the metal. Interestingly, all three were of people - 2 faces and one full body. Motion was a figure who appeared to be running but the motion continued beyond the arms and legs.
Unnamed was an angry face (or emotion filled) which seemed to match the metal quite well. This painting was giving to my college roommate, Motion was sold to a runner (also quite fitting) and Plain goes to a friend of mine and fellow pilot - as a gift from his future wife. Who knew after over ten years had passed I wouldn’t own any of them. There is no better place to put art than in the hands of someone who really enjoys it.

No comments: