2010-12-15

cc2010 | Christmas Magpies | 2010

Christmas Magpies, 2010
Watercolor and sumi-e, 54 x 38 cm (Donated to the Humane Society).  The card read:  Ah magpies... the dressed-up crow. Although these magpies are doing their standard act of hoarding someone else's trash, they're also epitomizing the optimist. When things don't work out - kind of like these tree ornaments - they remind us there's always a silver lining.
Beyond the dark birds, the broken ornaments, and life's twists, the glass can be half full. More so, even the little birds want for nothing. And they too know the strength of teamwork. I hope this holiday season reminds you of all you have and those who make your life better. This was the 19th card in the series.  125 cards were printed.
My comments - this is one of my favorites. A pleasant surprise was the request to auction the painting to raise money for the Humane Society. And four years later, another nice surprise.  Christmas Magpies were a finalist in Artist's Magazine's Annual Art Competition of 2014.


the sketches...

Magpies (sketch 2), 2010, pencil. This was the first of three sketches for the 2010 card. I was working on the broken tree ornaments and the pose of the larger magpie. For the broken glass, I also used some pics of glass to help me focus on the highlights.

Magpies (sketch 2), 2010, pencil.  This sketch was one that just paved the way to the final  version. I drew the bird on the left with the pose of looking at the broken ornaments. Then I added the second bird (on the right) because I love the imposing look of birds with powerful beaks. Seeing them together sealed the deal. One is checking out the new find, one is watching for any threats - together they're an awesome team.

Magpies (final), 2010, pencil and pen.  This was the final of three sketches after the second sketch solidified the concept. This was one design with which I was totally committed. The bird on the right has some shading with a ball-point pen. I wanted to plan some overall shading. I was so pleased with the idea, I stopped and started the painting. Yes, I'd have to admit the bird in the background is the 'man' and the 'lady' is looking at the prize.

Go to the Cards or the Galleries

-mm-

No comments: