2012-12-15

cc2012 | Christmas Jay | 2012

Christmas Jay, 2012
Watercolor and sumi-e ink, 28 cm x 38 cm. The card read: The Scrub Jay (or Western Scrub Jay or California Scrub Jay) probably isn't the first thing people associate with California. I wouldn't have either, but they definitely get your attention, and I'm always intrigued by birds. They're jays, so they're loud, but they're also very animated. Seeing them almost every day, I was reminded of Matthew 6, where the question is posed; can worrying add a single hour to our life? Of note, scrub jays, like most corvids (crows, magpies, etc.), are quite intelligent and have a brain-to-body mass dwarfed only by that of humans. Maybe they could have helped me with French. 21st Christmas card.
My comments - I liked the birds, but wasn't overly happy with the boldness (or lack there of).

the sketches...

Christmas Jay (sketch 1), 2012

Marker, pen and watercolor

This was the first of two sketches for the 2012 card. Birds fascinate me and California has these great Scrub Jays. They are very animated (and noisy) birds. And, they are fun to watch. Animals that aren't very animated aren't very fun to watch. I found a picture of a scrub jay eating vertically - which is amazing - so I wanted to transform it into a card.









Christmas Jay (sketch 2), 2012

Pen, ink and watercolor

This was the second of two sketches for the 2012 card. I added color but changed the tree ball into a branch. Interestingly enough, I stayed with one bird. But as you'll see, the final card had two birds. I like them both but thought the two-ship was a better image.

Go to the Cards or the Galleries

-mm-

No comments: