2015-12-13

cc2015 | Three Pumpkins and Hope | 2015

 
Three Pumpkins and Hope
29 November 2015
Acrylic on canvas,
24 x 20 in (61 cm x 51 cm)


The card read:  This image was certainly inspired by events in my life at the time of painting. Similar to Christmas Magpies, you never know where a situation can take you or what good may follow.  This trio of pumpkins has seen their holiday pass and in the following days one of them has become displaced and tipped over. The new arrangement looks a bit unsettled and it appears as Hope sits on the lone pumpkin, he might be thinking the same. Lively and as bright as the snow, Hope reminds us while things are never certain, they need not be grim. Tireless faith and hope can carry us through all life delivers.
My comments - this was my 24th Christmas card and my fist acrylic.  I was very pleased with the result and even more pleased since I'm not that versed in acrylic.  Even though it looks as if I painted the blue around Hope (the bird), I actually painted him on a canvas of pumpkins and blue.  It was a trust fall for me.  Loved the sky.  Was happy with the pumpkins...and now I had to paint Hope.

~~~~~
Sketch for Three Pumpkins and Hope
Marker/pencil on paper, 2015
I'm not sure what the real spark was but I'm pretty sure having three pumpkins in my house from Halloween had a lot to do with it. I had drawn a couple pumpkins but this is the only "complete" sketch I made. I wanted to start painting so I did it quickly and used a marker. During this sketch (or soon before) is where I had the idea of adding Hope (the bird). He looks kind of like a rooster here.

Sketch for Hope
The second sketch was the development of Hope. The rooster-looking thing in the first sketch was mainly for placement and I knew he needed work. This sketch allowed me to develop his crown, pose, beak and some potential color schemes. If you haven't thought about it, the beak on bird is as critical (and pivotal) as a nose on a face. It can completely change a bird and its personality.

Found a perfect frame for Three Pumpkins and Hope, 2022.

Return to the Cards or Galleries

-mm-

No comments: