2017-12-02

More Ambassador Stamps | 2017-12

Update, 18 February 2018---
Got the stamp for Middle Peninsula.  I don't like when I forget to get stamps.

Original Post---
Was able to get two more stamps for the Virginia Aviation Ambassador Program.  It was the day before I took a 2-week trip to Texas and it was perfect. Overcast (I love flying under an overcast because the sun isn't killing you eyes), light jacket temperature, a little light rain, and great service from ATC.  Flew west to Dinwiddie County airport then southeast to Wakefield Municipal.

Here are the two stamps.  At Dinwiddie a person will give you the stamp.  At Wakefield, it's a self-stamp process.  I.e., it's on a lanyard by the sign-in book.  This is a pretty cool deal.  Not getting stamps as much as seeing these places.  Dinwiddie, for example, was a nice airport with a great little building.  All brick, lots of glass, aviation books in the lobby, everyone's friendly and aircraft art on the walls.  And airplanes everywhere as it's also a facility for aircraft maintenance.  Wakefield...just a little cube at the end of the runway, door unlocked, policeman drives away as you arrive, probably the airport manager in his Toyota pickup waves as he drives away, dudes hanging out by their gliders, happened to have a nice, gentle rain.  It's just iconic.

And here's another reason I love GA (general aviation)...this is the airplane (733AG) that took me to these two places.  Here, she's parked at Dinwiddie.  I have always dug how an airport can look so remote - even if it's not.  It reminds me of the open plains.  Dinwiddie is about 60 miles (straight) and I was there and parked in probably 40 minutes.  It's at least an hour and a half drive.  Wakefield was half the distance.  The complete trip probably took about three hours.  Two airports, two stamps, great scenery, beautiful day, 21 hours left in the day.  Love it.  And I'm incredibly thankful for it.

- mm -

No comments: