1995-07-22

Purple Pilgrims | 1995


Purple Pilgrims
1995, watercolor on paper, 20" x 16"
This is from a phase when random shapes were predominant in my sketches. The original concept was drawn about a year earlier. This "billboard" captures the journey of these pilgrims to their awesome terminus. It now hangs in the home of a close friend of mine. His oil rendition of Purple Pilgrims can be seen here.

the sketches ~~~~

 
Purple Pilgrims, 1994
Pencil and pen on paper
The idea of the billboard look actually stemmed from the sketch on the right but the simplified version (top left) turned into the final Purple Pilgrims. I like all three of these sketches and will probably paint another Purple Pilgrims and something similar to the right sketch. I did make a version of the bottom left sketch. The spheres in the bottom sketch were really bright to show how people can overcome almost anything if we don’t have to do it alone. I called it You and Me in a World of Gray.

Purple Pilgrims Xtra, 1995
Pencil on paper
After Purple Pilgrims was already developed, I went a little crazy adding the billboards. I like this sketch but it doesn’t change much from the original Purple Pilgrims. Maybe my next Purple Pilgrims will look more like this sketch.

go to Miscellany or the Galleries

-mm-

No comments: