2007-12-15

cc2007 | Christmas Crab | 2007

Christmas Crab
02 December 2007
Watercolor on paper
14 x 20 in (35.6 x 50.8 cm)


The card read: When Doreen and I visited the beach I wondered what made the random holes in the sand. I assumed it was some brand of crab but I wanted to see for sure, so I just excavated one. I was surprised how deep these little crabs can dig, but I was much more surprised when I actually got to the bottom and a crab jumped out. These crabs are about 3 cm wide and look exactly like sand if they stop moving - so there is definitely artistic license in the picture since he doesn't look like sand at all. I doubt these sand crabs decorate their burrows but this guy might start the tradition.  It was a good reminder that the best presents are truly unexpected and often come from places we would lest suspect.
My comments - I actually like the sketch (below) better.  It's my standard issue...letting go gives me better results.  A careful approach gives a painting/picture, but it can lack a little of my heart.

the sketch...

2007, mixed media on paper. Often - particularly when the object of the painting is alive - I use references. Since the references are best for spurring ideas, the sketch and/or finished product is usually a mixing of said references. For example, this body position was from a reference but the claws were basically makeshift. Aside from his color, the claws gave the best venue for artistic license. The blue dot is watercolor on a wax stamp Doreen gave me.

Go to the Cards or the Galleries

-mm-

No comments: