2015-12-27

Christmas Card 2015 : 2015-11

NOTE: This was a follow-up post to the Three Pumpkins and Hope post...

All the cards have been sent which is my normal requirement before putting it on the web. This was the first year I used acrylic paint for a Christmas Card. I can't believe it's my 24th card and I'm also a bit surprised it was the first time I didn't use watercolors. Or said another way, that it has taken me so long to explore other medium. Also, I think this was the first time I took pics during the process. I like that quite a bit and will try to keep it up in the future. Even this project could have had many more pics. From the canvas to the sketch to the final.

-----
Before I show the pics, this is what the card reads:
Three Pumpkins and Hope, 2015
Acrylic on canvas, 24 x 20 inches (61 cm x 51 cm)
This image was certainly inspired by events in my life at the time of painting.  Similar to Christmas Magpies, you never know where a situation can take you or what good may follow.
This trio of pumpkins has seen their holiday pass and in the following days one of them has become displaced and tipped over. The new arrangement looks a bit unsettled and it appears as Hope sits on the lone pumpkin, he might be thinking the same. Lively and as bright as the snow, Hope reminds us while things are never certain, they need not be grim. Tireless faith and hope can carry us through all life delivers.

------


So, I did make one other sketch, but it's on a schedule at work and we shred everything. Maybe I can scan it if it's still in my binder. Regardless, the idea struck me as a result of life circumstances and I stuck with it. That's not always the case, but I'm glad I stayed with this idea and very pleased that I tried acrylics. Above is the final sketch before starting. I already had the vision, but I wanted to lay it out one more time, and the previous sketch didn't have the bird.

A little late in the process - I wish I would've taken shots of the sketch on the canvas, the sky, and the initial placement of green.  I love the sky but hated it at first.  I couldn't get rid of the brush marks, but then I pulled out a big brush and it fanned out great. On that note, I'm still getting used to how the image changes from wet to dry. The same happens with watercolor, but quite a bit faster.  As far as the pumpkins, I liked the placement, but the color was completely frustrating. I used the same brush to blend the green into the snow - although I did like the original boldness.

So, this was a very pleasant transformation. The pumpkins finally took a more realistic color and the snow/ground took on a more fluid feel - as if during an active snowfall or wind. Again, I should have taken a pic before adding the stems. They were surprisingly difficult (and frustrating) but I am happy with the results. The foreshortening of the stem on the solo pumpkin was a great exercise.

So now I had to add the "point" of the picture - Hope in the form of a bird. So how do I get to this bird? Or any bird for that matter. I search a few birds (some I know, some generic) on the web, take note of certain characteristics I like (head, colors, poses, beaks, etc.) and basically create my own bird. To be fair, this is not always the case. If I'm trying to make a specific bird - such as a crow - I will study crows. The beak, for example, will make or break a bird. You can't put a non-crow beak on a crow if you want it to work. By the way, they have great beaks. Hope kind of has the head of a Steller's Jay, the body of a smaller, shorter bird, and the colors of my imagination. 

And voila! Hope arrives. This was a pretty critical moment - for me and the painting. For the painting, it was kind of make or break since Hope was the point to the composition. For me, I had to believe I could paint a bird (that I liked) out of nothing. I already was pretty happy with the sky, snow and pumpkins, so it was a leap of faith. The sky is problematic because you can't just recreate a spot of the sky - that seldom works. So, I jumped in and just started painting his belly with pure white paint. It was good for my confidence and for the painting, and in the end, I was pleased with Hope and the final scene. You can also see the final at Musket Media (the only difference is I signed it).

Just for fun, I took pics of the cards ready to go out.  I've been ordering 150 cards
the last few years, but it was a bit too close this time - used them all.

- mm -

No comments: