2016-02-07

Montgomery - 2016-02

I was able to revisit Montgomery for a couple classes.  While I have some Montgomery posts, I think these are new/different.  For example, I paid more attention to the MMFA (Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts) and found some great stuff.

This was my first sunset at Montgomery.  I thought the pine cone added a cool touch.

On the left is Zero Gravity. It's from a 9th grader (Dayoung Lee) whom I imagine could be a very prolific artist someday. On the right is a print from Chryssa. it was part of the Gates to Times Square which isn't that easy to investigate. I did like her story ant the characters she created.  Here's her story...

These paintings captured my eye.  Red Fish (1990) by Leonard Koscianski (left) and Borrowed View by Ray Kass. Yes, the fish is all about contrast mixed with a little surrealism, but it is a large painting and well done. The same held true for Borrowed View.  A nice, large piece and it pulled some emotions from me...particularly the upper right corner. Also, it was watercolor covered with beeswax which I haven't seen before.

The "picture" on the left is actually a piece or glass work. I didn't capture the name or the artist since my original plan was to use it as a background on my phone. Speaking of phone, MMFA has a cool thing in place. You just "call" them and then enter a number. On the right is Ida Kohlmeyer's Tri. I took the picture because it's my kind of abstract. 
Other cool great pieces were Carolina Child by Stephen Scott Young (below), and Mutter und Tochter by Gary Chapman.


MMFA has some other great works, such as John Singer Sargent's Mrs. Louis E. Raphael and Edward Hopper's New York Office. And Robert Henri's Young Chevass. Those were cool to see.

This painting (below), Voices of Silence by Jimmy Ernst completely captured me. It reminded me of dreams I've had.  Dreams in the forest, but the left portion of this painting was almost exactly what I've dreamed of/imagined. I think if I had this painting, it would be the centerpiece of my living room.

If you get the chance, I would recommend visiting MMFA. It's free, it's a nice building, and they have some great pieces of work.

-mm- 

No comments: