2022-11-08

Singer Stuff : 2022-11

We came across this Singer and cabinet at a thrift store. It was a bit pricey, but it was in good condition and I thought I could restore it pretty well. We gambled on its ability to function, but even the cabinet without the machine is nice. Cool thing was, it worked. Even the lamp still worked!


I thought it was a 201, but apparently (as told by someone on Ebay), it is a 15 (model or class number). So, it's a 1946 Singer 15 (very close to a Model 15J-91) in a No. 40 cabinet. The cabinets came in walnut, mahogany or brown mission. The finish was pretty 'used' but overall, the case was in good condition.

The machine and lamp worked and the only real damage was what one could expect from a 70+ year old sewing machine. It's difficult to see, but on the right side in the right picture above, there is a little bar. This pops out automatically when you lift the top. It's a cool hinge that locks it in place when the top is closed.

A detail of the damage to the finish and some markings in the cabinet. The wood itself did have some dings, but again, for its age, I couldn't really complain.

The machine and a closeup of the serial number.

Even though it is a bit dirty, the details are impressive. The craftsmanship is also impressive.

This is the front plate. The materials and detail are things which would be almost impossible to find today. And this was just to cover the front of the machine. Luckily, it cleaned up pretty well.

Here is the final result!

Angled shots just to show the sides. You can see the two white dots in the left picture. They actually countersunk holes for pads which keep the top from hitting the side (when open). Again, the craftsman ship involved - holes for pads instead of just sticking them on. I made new ones and they fit so well, I didn't even care to try to change their color.

Two shots in the 'full open' mode. The vertical shot shows the beautiful wood grain. The little drawer was challenging. Kind of difficult to remove/install, and very aged - i.e., brittle. I think I did a pretty good job cleaning it up and reassembling it. I was also able to get the little lock to work again.

Two shots of the machine itself - also cleaned up pretty well.

I actually broke the original bulb which was very disappointing. However, I was able to get a new one and a backup if anyone ever buys the Singer (it is for sale). It's a nice light so I took a picture. Three of the four sides are on the right. This machine and cabinet were nice to work on because the entire thing came apart. Why didn't I take more pictures? Not sure, but getting better at it. I ended up scraping off the old finish. Chemical removers were making a mess/making it more difficult. Scraping is a bit painful but rewarding when larger sections remove easily. And the finish? Just oil - which as seems to become my standard. If it makes the wood look like this, I'm not sure why would I try something different. This was a rewarding project and even if I don't flip it, it'll be a nice cabinet.

My notes after research:

  • 1946 Singer Class 15 (allotted 25,000 units on 06 June 1946).
  • No. 40 cabinet (walnut).
  • Elizabethport, New Jersey (that is downtown, it us just Elizabeth).
  • Motor number 6148574
  • Cabinet stamped I022380 and etched with 444-22-4632
  • ISMACS International and Wikipedia.

- mm -

No comments: