2024-04-24

High Plains Bluff : 2024-04

High Plains Bluff
24 April 2024
Acrylic on vinyl canvas
20 x 30 in (50.8 x 76.2 cm)

Is there a bullet?

A friend gave me a large canvas (it was vinyl) which was about 3 x 5 feet. Originally, it was a sign/poster. They painted over it, but they no longer wanted it in their decor. It was old, lost some of its rigidity and strength, and the paint was pretty thick.  I had an idea - why don't I try my hand at stretching canvas myself. I converted the large frame into two smaller ones - this one and another at about 18 x 28. Since it was vinyl and not canvas, I thought I'd be able to remove some of the thicker paint. That was a waste of time and created some lines on the clean side. Lesson learned. However, the re-stretching and worked out much better than I thought it would. Even the corners worked out.

The painting was one last scene I wanted to do from the same setting as Long Mount and Guardian's Verdict. I also wanted a sky that was predominantly dark but has those brilliant white clouds peaking out here and there. In this scene, neither of the two fellows knows if there is a bullet. The preceding chase and fight end up here - wondering if there is a bullet and if it's even worth ending this way. Could this all have been a misunderstanding?

About eleven days passed but I worked on it 5 or 6 of those days.
On the right is the frame holding the work.

The corners were quite pleasing. The tools are relatively simple.
It's the technique that takes some learning.

- mm -

No comments: