2011-01-29

reading list and notes

How many times have you told yourself you're going to remember a certain book but when it comes time to get one, you never remember. Well I'm tired of it, so hopefully I'll remember to reference this list. It's a collection of books/articles I want to read and those recommended by others. Update 2020-05-02:  Books I've read are below the "TO READ" list.
~~~~~~
TO READ / RECOMMENDED
HAVE READ / COMMENTS:
  • Gates of Fire: Steven Pressfield (Amazon)
  • Grand Jihad, The: Andrew McCarthy (ISBN)
    • Government's role: safeguard rule of law and provide national security
    • Individual rights are to protect us from government, they don't imply government coddling
    • What government seizes from one group (or an individual), it must seize from another (or individuals)
  • How Will You Measure Your Life, Clayton Christensen, 2012
  • It's Dangerous to Believe, Mary Eberstadt, 2016
    • "We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.  We must always remember that accusation is not proof." journalist Edward R. Murrow.
    • "Words used to bar other people from a place at the human table are words that are worth thinking about twice." Page 105
  • Wild at Heart, John Eldredge, 2001, 2010
    • Teddy Roosevelt's 'Man in the Arena' quote, It is not the critic who counts...
    • Three desires of a woman's heart; to be wanted, an adventure to share, a beauty to unveil
    • Movie suggestion, A Perfect World
    • Neil Anderson quote; "Don't wait to forgive until you feel like forgiving; you will never get there.  Feelings take time to heal after the choice to forgive is made."
    • A main point; "Let people feel the weight of who you are and let them deal with it".
    • Daily prayer suggestion:
      • Lord, I put on the belt of truth.  I choose a lifestyle of honest an integrity.  Show me truths I so desperately need today.  Expose the lies I'm not even aware I'm believing.  Lord, I wear your righteousness today against all condemnation and corruption.  Fir me with your holiness and purity - defend me from all assaults against my heart.  I do choose to live for the gospel at any moment.  Show me where the larger story is unfolding and keep me from being so lax that I think the most important thing today is the soap operas of this world.  Jesus, I lift against every lie and every assault the confidence that you are good, and that you have good in store for me.  Thank you, Lord, for my salvation.  I receive it in a new and fresh way from you and I declare that nothing can separate me now from the love of Christ and the place I shall ever have in your kingdom.  Holy Spirit, show me specifically today the truths of the Word of God that I will need to counter the assaults and the snares of the Enemy.  Bring them to mind throughout the day.  Finally, Holy Spirit, I agree to walk in step with you in everything - in all prayer as my spirit communes with you throughout the day.
  • end
-mm-

No comments: