2013-08-22

Cimetière du Père Lachaise : 2013-08

I visited le cimetière du Père Lachaise (or wiki) in east Paris to see what the largest cemetery had to offer. It had what I most wanted to see ... dozens and dozens of different tombs. It's not that I wanted to necessarily see a bunch of tombs, but they all have their own style and design. There were so many, I kind of skipped taking several photos. I wanted to take my bike inside - walking it, not riding it, but that was not allowed. It's a good thing I had my new bike lock since it was attempted to be cut within the one hour I was in the cemetery. I don't see how pushed bike is different than a stroller, but thanks Paris! 

Just one example (l) of how ornate some of these tombs can be, and (r) Chopin's grave.

I thought the crématorium du Père Lachaise was an interesting contrast among all the tombstones. It's on left. On the right is the tomb of Oscar Wilde. I took the pic above because someone had kissed the statue and left lip marks. The tomb is surrounded by glass to stop people from marking the grave. The pic below (from wiki) shows how much attention the tomb gets. However, the glass was totally clean when I was there. And there's a little plaque on the glass which reads something to the effect of: "Respect the memory of O. Wilde and do not deface this tomb. It is protected by law as an historic monument." I thought it a little funny as the lack of plaques elsewhere imply it isn't as necessary to respect the memory of others.
* No, I did not take a picture of Morrison's tomb. I'm not much of a fan.

No comments: