2017-12-15

Handel's Messiah | 2017-12

Another event which was depending on some fortuitous timing.  I had a work engagement through the day of the even and in a different state.  Luckily, we ended two days early and I made it back the night before.  I try to see the Messiah whenever I can, and this one was only about 15 minutes from my house.  Perfect.  It was in a Baptist church, played by Virginia Symphony Orchestra (VSO), and conducted by Adam Turner.  Soloist were: Sarah Jane McMahon, soprano; Margaret Gawrysiak, mezzo soprano; David Blalock, tenor; and Levi Hernandez, baritone.  Someday I'd like to see it in Dublin where it was first performed in 1742.

This was a great show.  It's hard to rank order the shows I've seen...they all have their own sound.  One thing nice about this event was a two-page insert which simply walked you through the 53 parts with the 'lyrics' and their references  The lyrics are all from the bible.

Inside the First Baptist Church Newport News.

The VSO pamplet, not just for the Messiah, and my ticket.

- mm -

No comments: