2022-10-19

Sit Around : 2022-10

First things first...I remembered to take a before picture. I called this a "sit around" because it does sit around and I'm not sure what else it was intended for - probably a computer desk with the old vertical space for the CPU and a pull out shelf for the keyboard. Not sure what the second pull out shelf was intended for since the upper pull out shelf would cover it. It is the board in the right cabinet just below the larger, top opening.

Other than the sides and their respective legs, I was able to completely disassemble this cabinet. I like when that is the case since it's much easier to clean the wood and/or make any repairs or modifications.

Another view of the front and a closeup of the drawer. I converted the pull out shelf to a normal, adjustable shelf. I was pretty happy with the drawer results. I used the original pullout shelf, added some pine sides and back, and fastened the front to so it wouldn't fold down. It was a fold-down front so it wouldn't get in the way of the keyboard - assuming that was the intent.

I pulled these thin slats off so I could more easily strip/clean the sides. They were glued and nailed with very small brads. When I removed them, some damage done by the glue, but I knew it would be hidden.
I didn't want to glue them back on so I wanted to find a simple way to attach them and also add a little accent. I happened to have enough of these black hex-head screws which I think served both intents.

A shot of the back and the sit around in action. The back was nice because it adds rigidity to the piece and was screwed in place - not nailed. I appreciate when people do that because it seems they might be thinking of others down the road. Obviously, little things like this are often done for financial/manufacturing reasons, but it's nice to think there were reasons beyond price.

- mm -

No comments: