2022-11-29

Maple and Hickory : 2022-11

Maple and Hickory
29 November 2022, acrylic on canvas board, 16" x 20", held by artist.

I received an email which highlighted an art contest for pets. I happened to have an old canvas board which I had just painted over to reuse so I thought I'd come up with something. At least it gave that old painting and canvas a purpose.

Before I committed to the pet theme, I was experimenting with a sky and large/bold strokes. If you've read my blog enough, you know contrast and boldness are something I have to work on.  I liked the sky - thought it could make a good storm sky. I was going to paint a dog but I've only had one and it was so long ago, I'm sure I couldn't capture his essence. Instead, Maple and Hickory. Two miniature or 'tea cup' pigs. Their names are from Kimberly. A rough sketch can be seen below.

I thought the suidae plopped in there pretty well, but the sky was a bit too foreboding and didn't really highlight the pig pair. I first tried some greens and yellows, but that was a bit to 'fake'. I don't mind skies with odd colors, but it was a bit too yellow. I went with more white, blue and black and was much happier with the final sky. The only difference between the picture above right is the addition of some yellow to the field.

Here is a sketch of the piggy pair.

A shot showing how Maple and Hickory might look in a frame.

The picture has been submitted to the contest...we'll see what happens. Return to Miscellany Art.

- mm -

No comments: