2024-04-27

Real Sacrifice : 2024

Real Sacrifice
26 April 2024
Acrylic on vinyl canvas
18 x 28 in (45.7 x 71.1 cm)

Many have no idea.


This was the second of the two canvases I converted from a larger one - the other being High Plains Bluff. It was vinyl and, like the first, my exploration of stretching canvas myself. I had been thinking about a prison scene for some time. What helped me commit was a call for art focusing on military appreciation. This might seem a bit dark, but if I can't appreciate something like this, I have no heart. The black, white and grey (from the initial frames of the gif) were to act more of a primer than anything. That was a good lesson. If the vinyl already has an image, it will paint well. If it doesn't, it really sucks up the paint. I was loose with the sky and buildings but became a bit more rigid with the people.  And it shows. I really have to work on trusting the paint and the strokes and let go of "controlling" everything. Looking back, I think I might revisit the sixth or seventh frame of the gif. I think there could be a cool landscape in there somehow.

This gif covers eleven days, but it sat in the gray tones for seven days.

This is a very modest frame, but once I committed to trying to make the call for art, I was under a time constraint. I don't like submitting pieces without a frame unless, I've continued the painting on the edges and/or it is a studio frame.
- mm -

No comments: