2013-03-06

L'ange du bizzarre (Musée d'Orsay)

I love dark paintings and this rotating exhibition "L'ange du bizzare" (the angle of the odd or bizarre) was something I was waiting for.  Having my annual passes to both the Louvre [map] and the Musée d'Orsay [map], I'm in a neat position where I can just wait for these expositions. So, the L'ange du bizzare had some incredible pieces of art.
There were some incredible works from Goya, Blake and Bouguereau - just to name a few. There were also works from  Caspar David Friedrich - a favorite of mine. 
Without question, it was great to see the Red Dragon from William Blake. If you're a fan of the movie "Silence of the Lambs" and the prequel - Red Dragon, this picture will look familiar. It was, without question, cool to see the actual picture.
Then there was this painting from William Bouguereau. It's large.  Ten times larger than Red Dragon and it depicts a scene from Dante's Divine Comedy where Dante and Virgile witness a man is engaged in cannibalism.  In my opinion, this is an incredible painting.
Other works that interested me included:

No comments: