2017-08-03

Gladiator Glory | 201708

In the Gladiators, my deputy had the brilliant idea of giving out a Rudis for our staff members.  It was brilliant because it has everything to do with Gladiators, it was relatively inexpensive, and then he picked up a laser engraver which really made them awesome. So what is a Rudis?
A symbolic wooden sword which marked that a gladiator earned their freedom.  What distinguished them apart from all others was the fact that they chose to continue fighting, training officers, or serving in other ways.  These veterans of combat were the most honored, and rightly so.
What a perfect present-o for our departing Gladiators.  Soon after, a display rack was made to showcase two Rudes and was placed over a previous gift of earlier Gladiators - a scene from the Coliseum.  These are the first things people see when entering our Coliseum (our tent).  I think the did a fantastic job and the ensemble looks terrific.

A pair of Rudes with our Group designation and what became our motto. 

 The swords and the Coliseum picture.

During my tenure we had a gladiator helmet on our conference room table.  Sometimes we gave them as gifts but it became a bit too pricey.  However, my gladiators were kind enough to give me one. But it wasn't simply "one", it was the one that had been with me most of the year.  Above it is displayed in my current office.  And, yes, that is my Rudis underneath.

A few days after I arrived at my new locale, I received another gift - a rack for my gladiator helmet! I honestly didn't think it would make that much of a difference, but there's no contest.  It looks a thousand times better.  Thanks again to the incredible Gladiators!

- mm -

No comments: