2017-08-21

Eclipse Fun | 201708

We weren't in the path of the full eclipse (21 August 2017), but they are still awesome to see.  I roughly remember the last one I saw.  I remember it also in the summer and I think I was in Vacation Bible School.  Even if not in VBS, I'm pretty certain I viewed it at church and we used the paper/box method.

This is a panoramic shot of the eclipse - which looks a lot like a panoramic of the sun. 

 This is a panoramic with a filter.  I think this could've turned out better if I'd moved the camera slower, but I was rushing because of all the 'health' concerns.

I remember how amazed I was the first time I used the pinhole in paper to view the eclipse. I couldn't believe it worked and I remember it being such a crisp image.  I thought I'd try it again. I didn't do much preparation; no box, no aluminum foil, etc., but we got the effect we wanted.  Sadly, I don't have the images it created (someone was to send me them) but I thought these reverse shots turned out cool.  Upper left: I made three holes; stickpin (top), the bracket from a black binder clip (middle), and a ballpoint pen pushed in to make about an 1/8 inch hole.  It's cool how the larger hold doesn't show a full circle of light but rather a ring of light.  Upper right: this is a shot of the middle hole while the reflection was centered on my phone lens.

This is my favorite shot.  Yes, I know I could do this any day the sun is out, but it was eclipse day and we didn't know what to expect.  Again, this is the middle hole while the image of the eclipse was just below the camera lens of my phone.  It's cool to think about the things that changed between eclipses. The internet and smart phones are pretty significant. 

-mm-

No comments: