2018-12-24

CC2018 | Transition | 2018-12


Transition
24 November 2018
Acrylic on canvas
20 x 16 inches (51 cm x 41 cm)


Written in the card...As my last card in the military, I wanted to capture the approaching transition. It centers on an airfield of sorts as I do want to continue to fly. The dark path is full of rich experiences while the next path is more of a blank canvas. I dabbled with aircraft, but the transition or “flight path” seemed more apropos. I look forward to the next chapters.

My comments:  This is my 27th Christmas Card and fourth acrylic (four consecutive acrylics).  On that note, I'm sure I'll get back into watercolor, but I'm still enjoying acrylic. Regarding the painting, I wanted to see how much I could do with a painting knife.  I used cheap putty knives, and while I was able to get the effects I wanted, they proved frustrating.  Even chose plastic over metal.

As I want to continue to pursue flying after the military, I wanted to make that connection.  I love airplanes, but my sketches weren't really doing it for me.  Rather there is a runway - maybe snowy, maybe just vague - which originally when into an abyss.  I added the blue as it's nice to have something of a destination but purposely kept it nondescript and at an unknown distance.  You might see it at the end of the 'runway' but it could be miles beyond.  The 'glide slopes' / paths / what-have-you, continue to draw you forward but are distinct.  One is full of experiences, memories, people, while the other is something of a clean slate.  The further glide slope is purposely higher because life transitions never have to be a downgrade.  Green is my favorite color - like a perfect clump of moss or an immaculate fescue lawn - so I think the predominance of blue was subconscious.  Likely linked to 20+ years in the Air Force.  The right-to-left is from a real flight just a few days before painting.

Below are the four sketches I made for the card...

  • A and B are a Cessna from behind.  Abandoned the idea because I wanted to be more abstract and a landing seemed too terminal and predetermined.
  • C was the idea of a flight path, but it seemed to sequential and/or known.
  • D was closer to a 'then and now' concept but had an "up" transition.  Dropped that and stuck with the then/now - both taking me somewhere.  If I were to change something, I might not have added the blue.  It's not well-defined, but just a space would have worked.
Below are the evolution of the painting.  I'm happy I didn't keep the flight paths as trapezoids.  Too rigid to describe all that one experiences.

Above: pretty pleased with the background and 'runway'

Above: original flight paths...first was too 'calico' and even though I liked the coloring of the one on the right, it was still too static.  I was holding back.  I'm always more pleased if I let go.  There was also more motion in the final version.  Motion is good.

So there you have it...2018's Christmas Card.  And in 60 years no one will have to wonder.

Return to the Cards or the Galleries

- mm -

1 comment:

Kate said...

Beautiful. Congratulations on your transition.