2022-12-15

Seat Scenery : 2022-12

Families have many different traditions and some of them can be quite the surprise. I was introduced to one I likely couldn't have guessed - the painting of a toilet seat for an RV. I was asked if I would be willing to adorn this particular seat, and I gladly accepted.

Believe it or not, I hadn't painted a toilet seat and although it was a pretty great surface on which to work, I was concerned about the sheen. I gave the seat a quick sand down with 80 grit sandpaper. It's hard to know if it made a difference, but I'm guessing it helped the paint adhere. The red seat wasn't an early concept, it was to lay down a base. I had a larger tube of red paint and wanted to know what I had covered.

I started with a bright sky but didn't particularly like it. To be fair, I didn't give it much of a chance. I had the idea of a field/prairie in the foreground so I switched to a blue-green look to make a better contrast. I know people like bright colors but I liked the sky - kind of stormy clouds inside of a storm.

Next, I laid in the field and barn. In retrospect, I should've made a larger barn - for the scene and my eyes!

The final scene - a darker green patch and some hills beyond the barn.
Red Kansas, 20221215, 18" x 14", Acrylic on plastic.

I hemmed and hawed a bit about the other side of the lid. In the end, I couldn't let a perfect "canvas" go to waste. This was a present for Christmas and I was running a bit short on time so I thought I'd practice a master. This is my version of Monet's Haystacks, or I should say one of his as it was a series of several. Funny thing about this painting is I can claim it as my own. People might recognize it as similar to a Monet, but due to copywrite laws, his Haystacks are public domain.

This was one stack I favored.

This was a fun project but the jury is out on the toilet seat reception. It will be given to the recipients while I'm not present. It's always hard to read someone's face when you're not actually there.  I'll have to take Maple's word for it. If nothing else, there are certainly two different styles to chose from.

- mm -

No comments: