2023-01-04

Letting Go : 2023-01

Letting Go
04 January 2023
Acrylic on canvas
20 x 16 inches (51 x 41 cm)

- Private Collection -

A man takes a moment to reflect on the departure of his friend.  It's a sad moment, but the beauty of nature and the realization that they'll see each other again brings incredible hope.

I saw a scene in a movie that captured my attention.  The person with the body is from the movie but the surrounds are completely different.  As you can see below, the sky - particularly the clouds - went through quite a few variations.  

Initial cloud layout (left), added the terrain and blended the clouds to earth (center).  I really liked the distant range in the center picture, but for some reason painted over them when I darkened the clouds (right).  I put that second range back in the final version.

Adding the man and body (left) and darkened the terrain.  I was quite pleased with the clouds letting light through, but filled them in to bring out more contrast (right).  Part of me would have liked to keep those translucent clouds, but I'm happy with the final version.  I redid the clouds primarily so the the dip didn't run through the man's head.  I also gave him some hair to add a little breeze.

Update July 2023...
This isn't the first painting I've sold, but it's the first Red Dot I've ever received.
The Red Dot is typically how galleries indicate a sale. It felt pretty good.

- mm -

No comments: