2023-04-11

Jericho : 2023-04

Jericho
11 April 2023
Acrylic on canvas
24 x 30 inches (61 x 76.2 cm)

The walls of Jericho (Joshua 6) before the seventh day - before they fell. No matter how imposing they look, they pale in comparison to the Maker of all.  I was going to make some cliffs but thought I'd bring in the Bible story.  I just so happened across a picture of ancient windmills in Nashtifan (pic below) which really struck a chord, and they were good inspiration. And another image - that of the Buffalo City Court building - crossed my path with further enforced the fortress concept.

The original sky on the left and a repaint of the sky on the right to even it out. The original structure (I was thinking cliffs) were the result of cleaning a brush from another work. These original cliffs and sky sat for almost a month.

Finally getting back to it, I used it as a jumping point for a different sky. I was very happy with the clouds in this painting. I extended the original cliffs with remaining blue which gave a good foundation and made nice mountains in the background. The stages between the picture on the right and the final image were pretty rapid so no pictures of significance.

For reference...
The Ancient Windmills of Nashtifan (L) and Buffalo City Court Building.

The frame is unfished wood with a slight, black accent.

- mm -

No comments: