2023-04-07

Black Forest : 2023-04

Black Forest
07 April 2023
Acrylic on canvas
24 x 48 inches (61 x 91.5 cm)

This is a tribute to the VOR (very high frequency omni-directional range) nearest to my local airfield -the Black Forest VOR, or BRK. Not only is a decades-old relic of the navigation network, it sits on a nice section of Prairie that will soon be erased.  Grass and VOR gone.  Its simplicity and contrast against the fields make a good image and remind us when certain things are gone - they will never come back.

This was a new painting and the concept was a tribute to BRK from the beginning.  I threw down some clouds, sky and ground just to remove the 'blank sheet' issue.  I toyed around with some yellow and pallet knife to see if I liked that type of sky.

The picture on the left has a very straight line. I used some tape to separate the sky and see if I was willing to keep such a distinct separation. The scenery around the VOR has gentle hills so I discarded the straight line. The clouds were worked several times and the shot on the right was when I realized I needed much more contrast.  You can see the final clouds and ground underwent some serious revisions.

A close up of the frame showing the unfinished wood and recessed accent.

- mm -

No comments: