2023-05-16

Triptych Sunflower : 2023-05

Triptych Sunflower, 2023
Acrylic on canvas boards, 12.5 x 6 in (31.7 x 15.2 cm)
with frame, 16 x 10 in (40.64 x 25.4)

I had a pack of three 4x6 canvas boards but for me those are pretty small. To make a larger canvas, I arranged them as a single piece. Originally, I went with the stop light motif and tried to be cleaver with  the addition of the white spots. I didn't like it, but did like the fact that I affixed them to cardboard. I could paint the new image as if it were one canvas - with the gap. Instead of a painting pulled apart, it's a painting continued through the gap.

At the risk of losing the full flower, I gambled by painting the gap black. I thought it turned out very well and made a nice contrast. Since the canvas is still rather small, I made a mat for it. The first attempt was paper and it looked pretty good. Then I painted it and it bubbled up all over the place. Round two was a wood mat. It looked pretty good. There is a hint of magenta in the petals - it was to be a competitor for a gallery show, "PANTONE COLOR OF THE YEAR" which for 2023 is Viva Magenta.

Although I liked how the new mat turned out, it was a lot of wood and grain since the frame was also wood. Since it wasn't attached to the canvas, I thought I'd paint it. In other words, I could paint it freely without worrying about hitting the canvas. I thought the light blue was a great choice. After I painted it I took another look at a sunflower - they have much larger centers than my version.

More shots of the work in its frame.

- mm -

No comments: