2024-03-06

Cain's Warning : 2024-03

Cain's Warning
06 March 2024
Acrylic on canvas panel
18 x 24 in (45.7 x 60.9 cm)

"...sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you..."


I've been wanting to paint this for a long time. I didn't really have the image complete in my head, but the reference is great. It's from Genesis, Genesis 4:7 to be exact. God reminds Cain the sin is crouching at your door and you must rule over it. I started with a clean canvas and was going to make a version of a sketch from 2001. Then it struck me - just use this as the house by which sin is crouching. The sky came together nicely and as you might guess, painting the croucher was the most challenging. The gif shows a total position change and then several versions of the face.  I wanted it to be very subdued but also repelling. Sin is intentionally larger than the door as it can, at times, be very imposing.

A gif showing the stages/progress. About one month had elapsed.

I had picked up a frame that was standing by for use. It was too big, so I tried something new. I had put slats on the canvas panel to keep it straight. To give a raised effect, I fastened those slats to a panel. The pattern on the panel was by accident. I used a grey strain and then partially sanded it. I thought it made a cool effect - almost like fabric. I like it but it's a bit heavy so if I were to do it again, I'd used a lighter back board.  That was the original, but it was too bright. The current frame is above right. I added the trim and painted it a bronze color. I think it turned out pretty well.

Some closeups showing the panel is actually raised off the back panel.
UPDATE 27 MAR 24: I used this frame for another painting - Sixth Day.

- mm -

No comments: