2024-06-06

Handiwork : 2024-06

Handiwork
06 June 2024
Acrylic on sandpaper
18 x 25 in (45.7 x 63.5 cm)


Quite some time ago, I started saving old pieces of sandpaper with the idea of using them for a concept piece. When I first laid them out (you can see it in the gif) I thought I might leave it as is. However, a bigger part of me wanted to see what it would be like to paint sandpaper. They each give their own texture - which is cool and somewhat expected. I was surprised how smooth the higher grits were to paint. Yes, they're smoother in general, but they almost acted like paper. Since it was a concept piece, I also cut it to fit a frame I had in reserve. It worked out well because that particular frame had the hazy glass. That glass really reduces glare and was perfect to keep the sections of sandpaper flat.

The gif doesn't show much. The slowest part was gluing the paper - and I even rushed that a bit.
Above right is the final piece in its frame (and under glass).

This was the test layout - and almost where I stopped.
The good think about making stuff is they'll likely be more sandpaper in the future.

- mm -

No comments: