2026-08-15

Lucciole : 2026-08

Lucciole
15 August 2026
Acrylic on hardboard
21.5 × 18.5 in (54.6 × 47 cm)


Small lights drift above the field—soft flashes suspended in night. That could be the caption if asked to generate a one-liner. This was a cut-to-fit (the frame) piece of hardboard.  It's actually four pieces of leftover hardboard from other cuts. So, you can enjoy that painting and saving the earth. I like pieces like this because they help reduce inhibition - there was no 'subject', no deadline, and it was an assembled piece. Since it was assembled, I knew there'd be some sanding - which I did - and that adds more freedom. I think a lot less about detail and overpainting knowing it's destined to be modified at least once. The painting becomes more free, more expressive when you kick barriers out the door. In the end it's a little melding of Van Gogh and my Cordillera. For the title, I was originally on comets or meteors - which I still like - but thought the Italian word for fireflies was much more pleasant on the ears.

This is the frame currently holding Lucciole. It's slightly an odd size so I cut the hardboard
to fit. I think the color compliments the field pretty well.

- mm -

No comments: