Ballast
20 September 2026
Acrylic on poly-cotton canvas
16 x 20 inches (40.6 x 50.8 cm)
This is was a go-bold, possibly abstract painting to repurpose a painting that lived only for a call-for-art. That was Payload. This was fun to paint because the paint needed to be rather thick - which is beyond my normal practice. I also wanted to enter it into a show entitled VIVID 26 which really focused on colors and boldness. Only boldness will get this in as the colors are limited and not so incredibly vibrant. It was fun and I like it. I even liked the along-the-way shot below. I was tempted to stop. It's a good reminder that more canvases/surfaces are available so, paint away. The title is a carry forward from Payload. I think Ballast works well to remind us of payload but also to bring into question the foreground. The ballast to me is the brightness of the lower orange compared to the upper oranges.
Above left is Payload which had seen its end. The other two are the only stage shots I took.
There is no frame currently holding Ballast as the original piece came with a 1.5" boarder
and was a gallery wrap. I will likely stay with the gallery wrap and pictures will follow.
It will look like the wrap of Frosting.
- mm -




No comments:
Post a Comment