2023-01-08

Hoover D : 2023-01

Hoover D
08 January 2023
Acrylic on canvas
22 x 28 inches (56 x 71 cm)

I am fascinated by concrete, dams, the Hoover Dam and rock formations in the desert - just to name a few things.  I've seen the Hoover Dam a few times, but never from this angle.  I know I didn't do it justice, but I think it'd be great to stand at the bottom (in the shade) and take in it's immenseness.

The sketch I made on a nice Saturday afternoon (New Year's Eve to be exact).  On the right is a sketch on the canvas. I don't normally do that but did find it quite helpful - might do it more often.

Filled in the sky and was originally going to make two sets of clouds.  In an effort to go bold, I threw in the shadows next.  The sketch was really helpful for this step.

Next, I added some concrete and the rocks.  The rocks were trickier than I imagined and a good reminder that rocks (along with trees) are a great thing to practice.

Aside from the shape/formation of the rocks, I thought they were a bit "much" in their color so I toned them down.  Part of me misses the original rocks but I can accept the final set.  I painted over the left set of clouds and filled in the right set.  There were a couple of blemishes on the sky so I painted it again - probably for the third or fourth time.  The remaining clouds were giving me fits so I used blue instead of gray in an attempt to get some translucence.  If doing it again, I'd probably give the concrete more color, but it would be at the expense of the overall contrast.  It was a good project.

Some shots of the unfinished wood frame.

- mm -

No comments: