2023-02-14

Woodman East : 2023-02

Woodman East
13 February 2023
Acrylic on canvas
16 x 20 inches (41 x 51 cm)

A barn that once was reminds us that some things can never be regained.
- PRIVATE COLLECTION -

I have no idea how long this barn stood but it was always a great landmark on my way to/from a local airport. I loved its symmetry but you could see it slowly falling apart. It is now gone (rather recently) and this is my tribute - to it and to the grassland which is also gone.

This was a repurposed canvas but this one was actually labeled on the side - Winter Wonderland. Didn't really have the final image in my mind so I threw on some red. It makes a good, darker foundation.

I've wanted to paint this barn for well over a year, so I started with that concept. I liked the gray sky but wanted to do some more palette knife work.

The palette knife can be frustrating but can be fun if it cooperates. I threw on some gray and grass. I loved the clouds but was hesitant to put in the barn. The landscape sat bare for almost three weeks before I finally buckled down and added the barn. It's nice to have completed something I've been meaning to paint for quite some time.

This was the actual barn.  It has since been removed. Glad I took the pic.

- mm -

No comments: