2023-05-26

Magenta Shade : 2023-05

Magenta Shade, 2023
Acrylic on canvas panels
12.5 x 6 in (31.8 x 15.2 cm)

The shade isn't magenta - the tree is.

I had three panels - small panels (4x6) - still unwrapped and unused. Kimberly and I were driving around and noticed some trees that were a natural magenta - or close enough. The reason magenta was on our minds is because it is Pantone's color of the year. Technically, it is Viva Magenta. There was a gallery event in which submissions had to have viva magenta. This isn't how the trees look but I thought I'd give it a whirl. My objective was boldness, minimal brush strokes and minimal time.

Similar to Triptych Sunflower, I attached the panels to cardboard. It allows me to freely paint the picture and it won't look distorted when I make the gaps - they're already there. I spent quite a bit of time deciding whether or not to cover the edges with a mat and/or frame. The panels weren't very symmetric so I was concerned how they'd look if the edges weren't hidden. They look fine, but the the cardboard as it was created a problem - it was flush. So I had to razor blade a layer off. Luckily it separated easily enough and with minimal damage. Also, I was able to reuse wood from an earlier frame that hadn't worked out.

- mm -

No comments: