2023-11-20

Blackwood : 2023-11

Blackwood
20 November 2023
Acrylic on wood
8 x 10 in (20.3 x 25.4 cm)
FOR SALE -

Some of the best alarms aren't on phones.

I was with Kimberly in the mountains and in one of the shops we saw paintings on 2x4s. I thought it was kind of clever since the painting automatically has a frame of sorts. I wanted to try it for a couple of reasons. First, because I've become a fan of painting on wood, and second I wanted to see if I would be able to make the keyhole slot for hanging.

The pieces we saw were a bit shabby - you could see they were 2x4s (and some 2x6s) and painted black with average attention to detail. I like to repurpose things so instead I assembled a block from scraps. Aside from using wood which was taking up space, it allowed me to make a custom size. I started the first two at around 8 x 10 inches. As far as the keyhole, I purchased a keyhole bit and thought it would be easy enough. It would be much easier if I had a router. With a drill press it's a bit more tricky. The one shown above is my second keyhole which turned out much better. I learned quite a 'bit' from the first attempt.    

A gif showing the progress - about 48 days had passed. When I calculated it, it amazed me how quickly time can pass. Obviously, there were other projects between, but it's still amazing. Both of these blocks were kind of predestined for birds. I had seen birds the same day we saw these blocks and that was the overall vision. He started out as a self-made creature but I was getting frustrated so I went with something a bit more traditional.
- mm -

No comments: