2024-01-29

King Sixty : 20240129

King Sixty
29 January 2024
Acrylic on wood
8 x 10 in (20.3 x 25.4 cm)

A gallery was having a show with a single requirement - you can only use sixty strokes. I like birds and kingfishers are great so my first run/attempt was this guy - a Belted Kingfisher. Sixty strokes is tricky. I knew they'd add up fast, but not as quickly as they do. A lot of color, blending and detail are lost, but I have to admit, I like the exercise. It's good to let go and take what you get. If I don't like something, it's not like I have to keep it. Olive Eye was going to be a 60-stroke attempt, but it certainly has more. That said, technically, this is my first attempt that was in the stoke limit.

A gif showing the steps. I didn't like the first run so I started over.
Even the background takes strokes. The painting was in minutes but it sat for about ten days.

King Sixty in a very humble frame.

- mm -

No comments: