Brixham
09 September 2026
Acrylic on vinyl
24 x 16 inches (60.9 x 40.6 cm)
I painted this with very little concept, direction or drive (was in a five-day no-painting window). The biggest motivation was the number of no-paint days and the surface. This was a repurposed piece of wall art which is usually on a polycotton or vinyl canvas. I think it's easier and more recognizable to call it vinyl. The motivation from the vinyl is how paint behaves when applied. I love how the paint plays on it and if you make it wet, it's even more exciting. Some of my favorite pieces are on vinyl. I threw down some color and was originally building a cloud formation (should've taken more stage shots). But then I saw a cool contrast in the upper right with some green stripes. That turned into a tree of sorts with some interesting growths on it. I threw the crow in because they're something else and the dried leaves make us think this might be a favorites storage area. Yes, crows stash food for later (reddit). The title was a bit of a struggle. I really wanted to go with Horten which is not who heard a Who (Horton) but German for hoarding. However, I stuck with 'material history' and used Brixham. Brixham is a town in the English Riviera. The original wall art was a beach scene with lots of boats and parasols.
Gif showing the stages...I missed a lot of potential shots, but you get in a groove.
I bought the wall art on 07 Sep 26 and painted Brixham on 09 Sep 26. Good minimal 'sit'.
There is no frame currently holding Brixham as it has a 1.5" inch gallery wrap. I thought about giving it a museum wrap, but was happy with this look and kept some of the material history.
- mm -






No comments:
Post a Comment